Thursday, January 28, 2016

Focus Words for 2016

This sculpture is in a park on the southern tip of Vietnam in the city of Vung Tau (I think). For me, visiting this place was really significant. In the late 70's and early 80's many Vietnamese Refugees came to Australia by boat, most left from this port. My broader family, under the watchful eye of my grandmother, adopted a Vietnamese family and assisted them as they settled in South Australia. I learnt alot from this family about cultural differences and respect of different religions, and also about gardening. My husbands family also adopted a Vietnamese family who also had a impact on his values in life too.

I share this story by way of saying I am hopeful that I will be able to live by the values I hold close, those that I have adopted from some wiser than me, and those I've come to hold dear just because of my own journey.

This image will remind me to focus on these principles/values as I embark on 2016, a potentially busy year. Last year my words were influencial and remain meaniingful to me.

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

Your post and the story of your grandparents connects so beautifully to my post today about legacies. What a great one they gave you.

I love your guiding words, principles and goals for this year. If you can fulfill even MOST of them, you will be doing great things -- and if you do all, oh, my! What an impact you will make and personal growth you will enjoy.

Tamara said...

Jeanie, your encouragement is divine. Ive really been challenged to honor and respect the wisdom of my elders recently. Youre right about legacies. Thanks

Lisbeth said...

It is wonderful to hear. I think when we mix with other people and learn of their culture we understand each other better. I lived some years in some Middle East countries. These people are wonderful. That is why it is so difficult to understand some of the actions going on these days. I think we have to know each other to understand each other. Diversity is a wonderful thing.

Jeanie said...

Hi Tamara, just a quick note to say thanks for your lovely comment on the Gypsy. And I know what you mean about being challenged to honor and respect the wisdom of elders recently. Sometimes it's awfully hard to see where they're coming from at the time!

Mae Travels said...

Your principles are clear and special. I hope they lead you where you would like to go. I think that clutter can mean many things, not just physical debris that accumulates in our closets. Good luck with a successful year!

Best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com